An Urban Park By Mr. Peanut
As part of Planters Peanuts ‘Naturally Remarkable’ Program, kokobo greenscapes, in association with Ken Smith Landscape Architect, helped realize the New York Planters Grove, a new public garden space located at Lillian Wald Houses, a New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) community. The Lower East Side development is home to a rich history of service and social reform, by creating widely accepted models of public health and social service that still exist today.
kokobo greenscapes, inc. partnered with Green City Force-a respected New York City Youth Service Corps program-and community volunteers to construct this sustainably rich park for the Lillian Wald community.
The Planters Grove provides NYCHA residents and families with more than 8,000 square feet of open green space – a neighborhood that has been cited by ‘New Yorkers for Parks’ as lacking adequate open space, will now have expanded access to parkland. Planters Grove also furthers New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg’s PlaNYC goal of creating more accessible open space citywide and ensuring every New Yorker lives within a 10-minute walk from a park.
Planters Grove, located at Avenue D and 5th Avenue contains several unique elements:
- A rain garden collects storm water excess and allows it to soak into the ground, reducing the amount of runoff flowing into nearby surface waters and storm drains.
- Wood pillars outline the park’s peanut-shape and act as trellis structures for a variety of climbing plants.
- New native flowers and plants replace 30 yards of concrete, brick and debris from the site and attract birds and butterflies year-round.
- Several benches are located throughout the park providing seating for elderly patrons and families.
- Educational signs dot the park connecting visitors to nature and their surroundings.
The New York Planters Grove was created in partnership with The Corps Network – the national organization promoting and advocating for Service and Conservation Corps across the U.S. Members of Green City Force, a New York City-based corps program providing 30 NYCHA youth with green-collar job training, led the construction efforts and will care for the park with the help of NYCHA residents.
New York Planters Grove was borne from a spirit of improving the lives of others and will be a center of community service and engagement, continued learning and neighborhood renewal for years to come.
We are looking forward to another awesome year! Please let us know if we can assist in any of your landscape design & build needs.
Senior Landscape Designer & Creative Director – kokobo greenscapes, inc.